Monday, October 11, 2010

The joys of Jane Eyre and audio.

I have discovered the joys of books on CD, again. Today, I sat at my computer and played Facebook, solitaire, and worked on my class, all the while I was listening to one of my favorite stories, "Jane Eyre". I sit here at my desk with my geeky headphones laughing out loud at Mr. Rochester as he spars with Miss Eyre.  One of my favorite parts is in chapter 14:
“To speak truth, sir, I don’t understand you at all: I cannot keep up the conversation, because it has got out of my depth.  Only one thing, I know: you said you were not as good as you should like to be, and that you regretted your own imperfection;—one thing I can comprehend: you intimated that to have a sullied memory was a perpetual bane.  It seems to me, that if you tried hard, you would in time find it possible to become what you yourself would approve; and that if from this day you began with resolution to correct your thoughts and actions, you would in a few years have laid up a new and stainless store of recollections, to which you might revert with pleasure.”
“Justly thought; rightly said, Miss Eyre; and, at this moment, I am paving hell with energy.”
“Sir?”
“I am laying down good intentions, which I believe durable as flint.  Certainly, my associates and pursuits shall be other than they have been.”
I forgot how wonderful this story was as text. I usually watch this story on DVD, my favorite version has William Hurt playing the part of Mr. Rochester.

The woman (Wanda McCaddon) narrating this CD is an exceptional reader. She makes each character come to life with a different voice and the story flows. I have heard some pretty awful books on CD in the past, but I really lucked out with this one. I also recently checked out "The Odyssey" translated by Robert Fagles and read by Sir Ian McKellen.  I own two copies of this story in book form, but they are translated by a different person, so it makes it hard for me to follow along. I do have to say though, that if you are ever hesitant about reading this story, the version translated by Robert Fagles is in plain English.  He has made a translation that is easier for the masses to follow along with, although, some of the "poetry" of the tale seems to get lost.
I have been kicking around the idea of getting a Kindle. I read profusely, I take a book everywhere with me. I believe this would be a well used item to own. I however, am having a hard time justifying the cost. In the long run, I think this will cost us less, but up front, I can't see it happening. I would want one that was 3G Wi-Fi so that I could download from Mars if need be. I have to be practical in this, I live in the boonies. We don't have Wi-Fi everywhere yet. Heck, we are 6 to 12 months behind the rest of the world in everything else. from clothes to cars. We may never be Wi-Fi friendly in my neck of the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment